· All students will be issued a copy of Discovering French appropriate to your level. Bleu for French 1 Blanc for French II and Rouge for French III. Tresors du Temps for French IV. Textbooks must be covered.
· Students in French II will be given a workbook that is used for reading, listening and writing activities.
· Students will need a binder (preferably 1 inch size) to hold their notes, handouts, worksheets, quizzes, and tests. Binders will be collected once each semester.
· From time to time we will be using colored pencils, crayons, or markers. Make sure these are available as needed.
· A pen or pencil is needed each day.
What I Expect From You
· To be courteous and respectful at all times.
· To do your work to the best of your ability.
· To follow all instructions.
· To practice academic honesty; to do your own work. PLAGIARISM AND THE USE OF ONLINE TRANSLATORS ARE CHEATING!
· To come prepared to study and with all necessary materials.
· To be in your seat and ready to work when the bell rings. You will be warned at your first tardy. Any subsequent tardiness will result in a detention.
· Our goal in this class is to have you become proficient in French; therefore French is to be used when possible. English should not be spoken when French is known and can be used.
· The study and/or homework of another subject are NOT permitted.
· You are expected to work cheerfully alone, in small or large groups, or with a partner.
· Unless instructed by me, cell phone use is prohibited. Phones will be taken and given and sent to the office. Cell phone use could cause your participation grade to be lowered.
No FOOD or DRINK is permitted in class.
Stay in your seat and clean up your desk and area before leaving my classroom.. (I may change your seat periodiccally) without prior notice.
Talking, laughing, and not following the rules will not be tolerated.
Consequemces: 1st time= verbal warning 2nd time= office referral and loss of participation grade If there is a 3rd time, I will also notify a parent/ advisor
Absences and Make-up Work
· If you are absent for any reason, it is your responsibility to make up all missed work.
· When you are absent from school, it will be necessary for you to obtain the assignments that you missed.
Check the folder , and ask at least two classmates about missed work, before you ask me. Homework and other out of class assignments that are due on the day that you are absent must be submitted immediately when you return.
· If you are absent on the day of a scheduled test/quiz it is your responsibility to arrange a time to make it up within two days of your absence. Failure to do so will result in a zero for that quiz or test.
· Lengthy absence will be given special consideration on a case by case basis.
· Again, it is YOUR responsibility to come to ME, your teacher, about make-up work. I will not be reminding you or hounding you about make-up homework or tests/quizzes. You must be responsible for your own learning.
Tests, quizzes, homework and other assessments
· Your grade in French class will be based on the four skill areas: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Your grade will be determined by a point system
· Homework may be graded either on its completion or its accuracy. Homework is due at the beginning of class. Late homework is not accepted.
· There will be at least one or two quizzes per week.
· Some assessments will be in the form of group or individual projects.
· Not all quizzes will be equal in point value. Grades will be posted as soon as possible and can be accessed through ProgressBook.
· You will also receive a participation grade each term. This will be added at the end of the term. Points are earned by participation in class activities and warm-ups,..
Points may be deducted by not following the classroom rules.
· Grades are determined using the school grading scale.
· Retakes are limited to two per nine-week period.
· Retakes must be taken within one week of my returning the test to the class.
· Retakes will be marked in the gradebook with R.
· Not all assignments are eligible for retakes.
· You must take retakes on your own time, during study hall or before or after school. They may not be taken during your French class.
· You must make arrangements at least one day in advance of the retake test.
· Only one retake per test. You may not retake a retake.
· You will receive the grade you get on the retake even if it is a lower grade.
· The choice to retake is completely yours. If you wish you may change your mind any time before taking the test.
To make arrangements:
· Hand in the test for which you are requesting a retake.
· Get a pass to be excused from study hall.
· Retakes are available any period of the day except your scheduled class time.
· Retakes are your opportunity to have some individual control on improving your grade. They can be very helpful if you use them.
I have read and I understand these expectations in French class.
________________________ student _______________ date
________________________ parent/guardian _______________ date
Parent contact information ____________________________________________